Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Return to Matainui - Day 4

I sat up underneath my stick shelter, found the flashlight that was Kieran's, and flicked it on. I couldn't see anything except the funnel of light and I couldn't hear anything but the flow of the river. I crawled outside my little half of a hut and looked up, looking for stars. There was still nothing in the sky, which was sadly becoming a familiar sight. I crawled back under the shelter of my hut thing. It had two walls parallel of each other in a right triangle kind of shape, with more sticks making the hypotenuse roof. It was the third time i had awoken in the night. Sleep was impossible with no blanket or fire to keep me warm.

7th times the charm , I awoke in daylight to the deafening dawn chorus. I had nothing to cover my ears with but my hands. I sat up thinking, and blotted out the chirping. What were the worm things? What was the human-like bird? and why were they fighting? The worm person was abducting people, and the bird was trying to protect them. Maybe they were what made the high-tech control room? yes, I was absolutely certain it was them. And the mountain was probably stepped to be some kind of a temple to something. I need to find other people, and get help. I can't survive with just a spear, a knife, and a flashlight which was bound to go dead soon. Well I had to survive with only that for now. I remembered the folded map in my pocket which led me here, and checked my location. I had moved a bit upstream from my arrival. "Maybe the people that were captured by the worm things left there stuff behind!" I thought. With a gleam of hope, I picked up all my stuff and started to run towards the dead fire where the other people were. I had a bit of trouble finding it but eventually I saw it near the river where the smaller eels are. I stopped and gazed around the surroundings, looking for anything. There was noting there, and I sat down in frustration. By now the birds had shut up. I pulled out the map, and looked for a place where people might be. I had washed up in a bay between two mountains. I didn't know where the plane wreckage was, or the survivors if there were any. Well there must of been, I saw them get abducted. Maybe the worm people had built another complex and taken the abductees there. I knew what I was going to do today: Find the worm people's prison and break out the prisoners with my mere spear. It was going to be hard, but I had to do it. I looked around for the tracks of the warm that had fled. over there, going into the Forrest, were large worm tracks. They had left a sort of engraved lane in the dirt, and had pressed down the wild plants.

The tracks were getting harder and harder to follow, and I had lost any idea of where I was on my map. "You hold it!" I heard Asser's voice, and froze. I frantically looked around, and kept listening to his complaints. I could tell where he was now, and ran through the bushes and trees. "Asser!" I yelled, glad to see other human life.
"What" came his dumb reply.
"Jordan" Interrupted Ben. "We got your bag. Kieran said that you had gone to the tent with Marek but neither of you were there. We tried to go back inside the control room but they locked us out"
"Yeah... They locked me out in the middle of the night. Listen. When I went into the tent to look for Marek when someone locked me out, He wasn't there. I found his spear and it had this blue liquid on it, and I thought it was some sort of alien blood. Then yesterday These 2 half worm half human things were trying g to capture people, and this Giant Walking bird was trying to scare them off by fighting with them with a spear. They killed the bird then I grabbed its spear and killed one of the worm things, but the other ran away with some people. I couldn't make out who they were and now I'm following the worm thing to where it took the people. Look, you can see its tracks" I pointed at the pressed down plant life.
"OK then, we'll go with you. Heres your bag" Ben snatched my backpack of Asser and passed it to me. I put it on and said "Follow me"

I explained everything to Ben in more detail, and Asser was still confused by the whole ordeal.
"Get Down" I firmly whispered. We all dropped to our bellies. "why are we-"
"Sshh! look, through those trees there. Two worm people, with.. ray guns? They're guarding something. probably the prison."
"now what" Ben questioned.
"I'll think of something" I said. Well i hoped so anyway. There was a small room, about the size of an elevator, behind them. Perhaps it led to an underground system. There was a few metres of clearing around the small room covered in plants. "Do you have a plan yet?" Asser kept nagging me. Their weird rifles didn't have a trigger guard, and they had some light bulbs sticking out the side. They started to murmur amongst each other, and one started to slither towards us. I thought they were on to us. "Shut up and follow me" I instructed. We kept low and moved through the trees to behind the small building. We were leaning against the back wall and i crept around the side to where the guard who might have seen us was. The door started to open, and I hurried back to the back wall. About 5 armed worm people came out, all armed. "quick, get inside" We were lucky that both guards went with the 5 other people who had came out. The door shut behind us all. Some steps leading to an underground tunnel had been carved out of the ground. I cautiously walked down them, and it led into a corridor with metal walls. Suddenly an unarmed worm guy walked out of an open doorway. "Oi!" he had seen us. Before I panicked i whacked him across the head with my spear's butt, and he fell to the ground. "Who are you!?" I questioned him. He didn't reply so I whacked him on the chest with the spear butt. "what is this place" He still wouldn't talk, so in one swift motion I cut his upper arm, and brought the spear's blade closer to my face to examine the blood. It was exactly the same as that on Marek's spear after he had disappeared. They were the ones who had taken him, and the other people, but why was still unknown. The worm tried to make a break for it but as it stood up I swooped the spear in front of its necked and grabbed it wit both hands, trapping him in a choke. "You're coming with us" I said. I lead Ben and Asser into the room the worm guy had come from. It was about the size of a bedroom, and looked like an armoury. There were weapons stashed all over the place, and most of them were the rifle that the two guards and other 5 worm people had. I tightened my grip on my choke. "What is that?" I asked, pointing at the strange rifles with light bulbs.
"Wunderwaffe" It replied.
"What does it do?"
"Zap, then boom"
"Ben, take one" He hesitantly walked towards the rack, and took one.
"What about me?" Said Asser.
"Go on then, get me one too" He walked to the gun rack with a look of glee on his face, I released the spears grip on the worm thing, and took a wunderwaffe off Asser. We all raised our rifles and aimed at the worm alien. We had him in a perfect position to interrogate him, but I couldn't think of any questions to ask him. "Ben... Ask him something"
"What is this place!?" Asser screamed.
"Its a base, sort of like a headquarters. We have lots of them on this island."
"What are they for?" I asked him.
"Some of them are bases, headquarters, some are camps"
"What kind of camps?"
"We take people and nurture them in a camp."
"Where are they all?"
"You found this one, you can find the other seven." Some voices were coming from down the corridor.
"Take this one to camp C, there's a vacant space there"
"What about Thorant, have they found his body?"
"They sent a search party out before. Once we get rid of this drones we can take campers to the others, use them as hostages, and negotiate." Me Ben and Asser all looked at each other in shock. We knew what they were taking people for now, and we had to stop them. They were delivering one right now. I grabbed the worm person we were interrogating, ran into the corridor with him, pushed him forward, and put the end of my wunderwaffe's barrel against his head. I could clearly see now that the person the two worm people were about to send to a camp was Grayson. "Release him now or your buddy here gets it!" Asser and Ben came out of the room and aimed at the other two worm people.
"You heard him" Asser shouted at them. "Drop your weapons" they had Wunderwaffes as well, and they both dropped them.
"Now let him go" I demanded. They calmly released Grayson from their grasp, and he ran behind Ben. "This is to easy" I whispered to Ben. "They're up to something"
"Tell me, where are your camps and why are holding people prisoner?" They ignored me and turned around, and started calmly heading towards the exit. "Get back here now!" They stopped and turned around. Then I could hear the door opening, and an armed worm guy ran in and fired a shot. The wunderwaffe shot out a magnificent electric blue lightning bolt, and I hid behind the worm person we were holding captive. It hit him, and flashes of electricity were sweeping all over his body. He was violently shaking, it was a horrible sight. He dropped dead. "Don't move!" the worm that just shot at me said. "Drop them! Don't think I won't shoot!" I did exactly as he said and dropped my gun. He was scared to death, and he slithered right up to me. The ugly thing started examining me, then raised it's wunderwaffe and smacked me across the face, and I fell unconscious.



No comments:

Post a Comment